Monday, May 19, 2008

The Working Girl' Guide to Handmade Jewelry


It’s no secret I heart Jen Perkins of Naughty Secretary Club. She’s a swell chick, incredibly inspiring and funny and I’ve been her customer long before I became infiltrated into starting my own organized craft famiglia here in Petalumasky.

However, my particular craft is not really jewelry. My craft is making stationery and all things paperie, though I do some sewing and a few odd-ball other things such as resin jewelry which I make from my own original illustrations.

I love the medium of resin. It has a chunky funky look, and you can do SO much with this versatile if stinky solution, that I find it incredibly inspiring. The fact that resin lends itself so well to the retro look and feel I really dig, doesn’t hurt either. Though the stuff is kinda toxic and sometimes takes FOREVER to get really solid...like a couple of months on some of my rings. But practice, practice. I will get this resin thing down, even if I lose a few resin brain cells in the process. (yes, work in a well ventilated area when working with resin).

Well, now my favorite naughty secretary has gone and made it darn impossible for me to avoid working with resin again. She went and wrote asuper faboo book on making hand-dandy, be-dazzling baubles and jewels. And I SO have to have this book! I believe it’s available for pre-order at the moment at your favorite bookstore or Amazon. I cannot wait!

Though if resin is not your thang, don’t despair, because Jen has plenty of other juicy chapters on jewelry tidbits and recipes to share with you in the world of handmade jewelry.

Hard to believe with so much going on and so many crafty happenings that May is half-way gone. So happy birthday to all my Taurean bulls out there, you're stubborn but with the exception of a few rare bulls out there, generally your generosity and sweetness makes up for it!

Cheers!

No comments: