Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Downward Dog & Devil's Food

Yoga and Cupcakes ... these are a few of my favorite things...

A few weeks back you may remember the Petaluma Craft Mafia meeting and cupcake swap in which we at the Petaluma Craft Mafia baked cupcakes and swapped 'em. I thought it might be a great ice breaker for new members and I hastily put together some purple and pastel cupcakes some adorned with tiny dancers, cause really, what grown girl, aka woman still doesn't harbor memories of ballerina dancers? Whether you dance or not isn't the point.

I enjoy blogs, but have been a bad blogger of late. Shame on me. There isn't always as much time as I'd like to write my own blogs or read other's blogs. Lawd knows just how many awesome blogs I'm missing out there!

The mere thought hurts me a little, ya know?

When I do get a chance to read, I read for information and education, and others are pure candy ...I just really enjoy seeing what a few handful of my fellow bloggers are up to, and enjoy the voyeuristic peek into their lives. Some just make me laugh and make me happy.

Blogs are pretty voyeuristic by nature. You never really know who is reading your blog. Of course this can have potential for good and bad.

Some of my favorite blogs I stumbled upon by accident such as "Eat like a Girl," and "Naughty Secretary" who I discovered like a gazillion years ago totally by accident and also fell in love with her jewels. Or maybe I fell for the jewels first, anyway. Blogs have a re-bound effect, you tell one person about them and next thing you know others are also visiting the site. One of our favorite family stories is when my mom tried to hunt down Jen Perkin's site for a horse brooch for my niece one day while at the office. I had told her about the site months before. She called me one day while I was heading out the door and asked me for the URL. I stressed to her to use the world "Club" in the URL. My mother had a habit of hearing half of what a person is saying.

Using her own secretary's computer who happened to be away at lunch and who's office is very visible, she entered the URL "Naughty Secretary" omitting the world "Club." Very important not to leave out the word "club." Well you can guess the sites that sprang up and my very down to earth but modest mom who was not very internet saavy, couldn't close them down fast enough. She was concerned what her secretary Elaine, must have thought once she got back from lunch and found the pages still looming on the desk top. Hillarious.

I discovered this evening a blog called "Cupcakes and Yoga." This is a delightful blog about,well, yoga and cupcakes! No hidden gimmicks or funny business or read between the lines irony here! Marilyn, a native New Yorker writes about her blog's namesake. The cupcakes she posts from various cupcake arteests and cakey connoisseurs are absolute works of art. And she has a gazillion links to various cupcakedy folks to inspire awe. Of course she also talks about her other passions as well such as design and yoga!

Marilyn obsesses about cupcakes and makes me want to make a batch now! Check it out y'all, Marilyn will have you wanting to make a batch in no-time. Who says cake can't be crafty?

2 comments:

Marilyn P. Sushi said...

Awwww you are so sweet!!!! Thank you for the kind words.

The BABOC is such an awesome and inspiring book, I'm sure it will keep you busy for a long time. :)

Siren Suds said...

It looks like a wonderful blog, thanks Moxie, I love love these cupcakes!
And yoga ... since you started doing yoga when you were like twelve or something, when are you going to show up at one of my classes? I'm on a roll today huh? (See my mermaid comment on the PCM blog)! :)

love, the mermaid