Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Squirrelly Love
























F
elt has been on my crafty "to-do" list forever.
Besides actually wanting to "felt" wool, which I understand is incredibly simple, I've been wanting to make something out of felt as well. Where to start? I decided Moxieville's mascot, 'Mr. Squirrel' would be perfection.

So one rainy evening about a month ago, I dove in and drew a quick squirrel pattern, and made use of some felt I had purchased at Michael's. Now for these kind of projects, you really ought to use a better quality felt that can be purchased at Fabric stores, but as I was dying of impatience to try my hand at sewing a softie creature, I used what I had. When you use a lower grade felt such as what you find at most craft stores, you'll find the felt is really too thin and transparent to make a very sound softie that is durable and will hold stuffing or the threaded stitches. On my Mr. Squirrel, I stuffed him with lentils to make him stand up. Due to the fragile nature of this particular felt, Mr. Squirrel leaked a few lentils!

Let me tell you, there is nothing worse than when your squirrel leaks lentils! Whats a girl to do? So some repair work was in order,and I tightened the stitch level on my sewing machine. I haven't sewn in forever,so going around those corners was tight! But remember I'm the Cal-Expo sewing gold medal winner, so I was up for the challenge!

Now I'm inspired to make a few more creatures, but I'd really like to get into felting wool.

If you've been reading my Petaluma Craft Mafia posts over on the PCM blog, you'll note we have a new member,Tami Lovett-Brumfield, aka "Felt Baron", who specializes in felted fruits, veggies, and even a Neopolitan ice cream sandwich as well! I am delighted to have her as part of our crafty famiglia. I think she may have this felty craft stuff down better than I do. I told her about Mr. Squirrel a few weeks ago over coffee, and she gave me some great tips. Most of all, buy good felt! Life is much easier that way!

Happy Valentine's Day to all my dear hearts and Happy Birthday to all the Aquarians in the house!

2 comments:

Siren Suds said...

So that's what you did with the felt! I thought your were going to embellish a tablecloth for Moxieville! Love the flowers on his tail. How about an acorn? Yup. Tami is right, you gotta use better felt Ms. C.

Siren Suds said...

Enough squirrels, where is my mermaid? Heh heh! :)
A.